- 5 T. butter
- 2 candy onions, chopped
- 2 lbs. tomatoes, chopped
- ½ t. basil
- 3 T. flour
- 2 c. chicken broth
- ¼ t. baking soda
- Sugar, to taste
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and broth, whisking till smooth and add this mixture to the soup, stirring constantly.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Puree if desired.
- Return the soup to the stove, and set it on a burner over low-to-medium heat.
- Stir in the baking soda, sugar, milk, and seasonings.
- Heat, stirring, to a bare simmer.
- Serve hot.
Serves 8. This can be frozen without the milk. Add milk after thawing. Great way to preserve summer bounty!